Tuesday, October 20, 2015

First Week at the MTC

October 20th, 2015
Hi everyone! I am doing awesome. The MTC is nothing of what I expected it to be. I am in the same classroom for about 6-8 hours a day to learn French and study the gospel. I've already taught a role-playing investigator 3 times in French. It was hard to understand him in French the first time, but now I can understand a lot of what he says. His name is Charles and he is really nice. 
I have two French teachers, our main one is Frère (brother) Pistorius, he's not related to Oscar Pistorius which is a good thing, and he served his mission in Montreal, Canada, French-speaking. He only got back a couple years ago and he's getting married soon. He's really nice and he is a good teacher so far.
My other teacher is Frère Adams, who is from San Francisco, and he served in the France Paris Mission, so he has the accent I expect to have when I come back. He's crazy and energetic. I'm really excited to get to know my teachers more and learn from them in the next five weeks. 
Time has felt very different than any time I've experienced. The days feel long but they don't feel heavy. Time doesn't exist here. It's a good thing because I learn so much in just one day. I'm actually kind of looking forward to being here for six weeks because it'll feel like six months, so I'll be able to learn the language better and learn more in less time.
On Sunday night, Chad Lewis spoke for us at the devotional. He played as a tight-end for BYU and went to the Super Bowl with the Philadelphia Eagles in the early 2000's. Him and his wife gave strong testimonies of missionary work and the blessings it can have for everyone. During the devotional, Chad had Steve Young's nephew bear his testimony in Mandarin Chinese to show us the power of the gift of tongues. Then Chad had Taysom Hill walk up to the pulpit in crutches and bear his testimony about the work we've signed up for as missionaries. I respect Taysom more now after he bore his testimony.
My district is more than anything I could have asked for. I'm so thankful that God blessed me with such. We all have a good relationship with each other. There's one elder named Elder Griffith from North Carolina so he has a southern accent. There's another Elder named Elder Davis from Tooele, Utah. He is the funniest person I've met. He's funny because he's so innocent and he just says random things out loud out of context, but he doesn't know they're out of context. But he is just so hilarious. He makes our day every single time.
Life is awesome at the MTC. It looks like I'll survive happy and well.
Strength and Honor.
Sincerely,
Elder Carlos Enrique Aburto
I know it's early, but Happy Birthday, mom! Thanks for being such a good parent and always teaching me the way to happiness. Thank you for dealing with me for 18 years. Papi is so lucky to have you as a wife. I love you guys so much!
P.S. Can you guys walk Tule once a week to 400 South for me, thanks. And keep sending me scores, also, when the time comes, who won the World Series? Go Pumas and El Tri and Sí Se Puede!!!!!!
With love, your hijo,
Elder Carlos Enrique Aburto


Mi primera semana en el CCM

20 de octubre de 2015

¡Hola a todos! Me está yendo bien a todo dar. El CCM no es nada de lo que me esperaba. Me la paso en el mismo salón de 6 a 8 horas al día estudiando francés y el Evangelio. Ya le he dado tres lecciones en francés a un muchacho que la hace de investigador.  La primera vez me costó mucho entenderle, pero ahora entiendo bastante de lo que dice. Se llama Charles y es buena onda.

Tengo dos maestros de francés: el mero mero se llama Frère (hermano) Pistorius, no tiene parentesco con Oscar Pistorius, lo cual es bueno, e hizo la misión en Montreal, Canadá, hablando francés. Regresó hace como dos años y se está preparando para casarse, es buena onda y hasta el momento me gusta cómo enseña.

El otro maestro se llama Frère Adams, es de San Francisco y sirvió en la misión Francia Paris, así que habla con un acento que espero tener cuando regrese. Es medio loco y está lleno de energía, pero siento emoción por conocer mejor a mis maestros y aprender de ellos en las siguientes cinco semanas.

Aquí el tiempo lo he sentido como nunca antes en mi vida. Los días se sienten largos pero no pesados; es como si el tiempo estuviera detenido, lo cual es bueno porque siento que en un solo día se aprende muchísimo. De hecho me agrada la idea de estar aquí seis semanas porque se van a sentir como seis meses y así podré aprender mejor el idioma y en general aprender más en menos tiempo.

El sábado en la noche tuvimos un devocional con Chad Lewis. Él jugó en BYU de ala cerrada y fue al Super Bowl con los Carneros de San Luis y con las Águilas de Filadelfia a principios de la década de 2000. Junto con su esposa dio un testimonio muy potente de la obra misional y de las bendiciones que hay para todos en ella. En un momento de la reunión, Chad le pidió al sobrino de Steve Young que diera su testimonio en chino mandarín para ejemplificar el poder del don de lenguas.  Luego le pidió a Taysom Hill (el mariscal de campo de BYU que está lesionado) que subiera al púlpito en muletas para dar su testimonio de la clase de obra en la que nos hemos metido como misioneros. Después de escuchar su testimonio, siento más respeto por Taysom.

Mi distrito es mucho más de lo que hubiera imaginado. Estoy tan agradecido que Dios me haya bendecido con eso. Todos nos llevamos muy bien entre nosotros. Hay un élder que se apellida Griffith que es de Carolina del Norte y tiene un acento del sureste bien chistoso. Hay otro que se llama élder Davis que es de Tooele, Utah y es la persona más chistosa que he conocido. Lo más chistoso es que sumamente inocente y de repente dice unas cosas que no tienen que ver absolutamente con nada, y la cosa es que ni siquiera se da cuenta. Es chistosísimo y siempre nos alegra el día.

La vida es a todo dar aquí en el CCM, y pues parece que sobreviviré felizmente.

Fuerza y honor.

Afectuosamente,

Élder Carlos Enrique Aburto

Sé que es pronto pero, ¡feliz cumpleaños, mami! Gracias por ser tan buena mamá y por enseñarme el camino a la felicidad. Gracias por aguantarme 18 años, mi papá es muy afortunado de tenerte como esposa. ¡Los quiero mucho!

P.S. ¿Podrían llevar a caminar a Tule una vez por semana a la 400 Sur? Gracias. Sigan mandándome los resultados de los juegos y cuando ya se sepa, díganme quién ganó la Serie Mundial. ¡Arriba Pumas y El Tri, y sí se puede!

Con amor, su hijo,

Élder Carlos Enrique Aburto