Friday, October 16, 2015

My Farewell Talk

Prophets, Seers, and Revelators
September 27th, 2015
Introduction
The first paragraph in the first lesson in Preach My Gospel says the following:
“God is our Heavenly Father. We are His children. He has a body of flesh and bone that is glorified and perfected. He loves us. He weeps with us when we suffer and rejoices when we do what is right. He wants to communicate with us…”
How does God communicate with us and how does he show his love for us?
Let's read in Exodus 3:7-12: “And the Lord said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows ... Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel is come unto me: and I have also seen the oppression wherewith the Egyptians oppress them.  Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.  And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?  And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.”
So in this passage of scripture, we learn that God watches over us, and He cares about us, and He calls upon a chosen mortal to speak in behalf of Him for us.  And that’s why we follow the prophet, because we  believe his words to be God's words.
But what if God asks us to do something that we feel uncomfortable doing or what if we feel like he asks too much of us?
“We heed prophetic word even when it may seem unreasonable, inconvenient, and uncomfortable. According to the world’s standards, following the prophet may be unpopular, politically incorrect, or socially unacceptable. But following the prophet is always right.” -Carol F. McConkie
Isaiah 55:8-9: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
I ordered a pair of shoes that didn’t fit me well. They were very tight and they were uncomfortable to wear and I eventually returned them for a better size. Sometimes we think that following the Prophet is like having a pair of shoes that it fits other people great and we feel that it's too big on us or to tight and makes us feel uncomfortable and we feel like taking it off. But I know that if we follow the word of God in Faith, over time the shoe will get more comfortable and the more we will want to put it on and keep it on. And if we feel like the task is to big for us, he can provide us with the ability to complete it.
As Nephi said: “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them” (1 Nephi 3:7).
Satan does not want there to be truth. He wants to destroy all truth there is, no matter how long it takes. In the Book of Mormon, Samuel the Lamanite was shot at with physical arrows, but nowadays the prophets are shot at with spiritual arrows. Satan attacks and tries to discredit the Prophets. He knows they are true prophets, but unfortunately he gets some of us to fall in his trap. but the result is the same today as it was back in the Book of Mormon times, the opposition can attack all he wants, but he can never change the truthfulness of God’s message for us.
2 Nephi 33:2-4: “But behold, there are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught.  But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry. And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good; it maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal.
How blessed are we to have Living Prophets, Seers and Revelators today to guide us and show us the way to get back to our father in heaven.”
President Monson said: “Despite any health challenges that may come to us, despite any weakness in body or mind, we serve to the best of our ability. I assure you that the Church is in good hands. The system set up for the Council of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve [Apostles] assures [us] that it will always be in good hands and that, come what may, there is no need to worry or to fear. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, whom we follow, whom we worship, and whom we serve, is ever at the helm.”

Close